!-- Featured Slide 1 Code Start -->

20111114

Modals

Posted by Unknown On 23:49 No comments

Ability
-Can
I can speak German
-Could
I could speak German when I was a child

Permission
-May, Can, Might
May I go playing football ?
-Could, Might
Could I go playing football?


Possibility
-May, Can, Might
John hasn't come yet. He may work.
-May, Have, Might Have
John hadn't come yet when we got home.He might have worked
overtime

Advise
-Should, Ought to, Had better.
You should study hard.
-Should have, Ought to have.
you should have studied hard.

Necessity
-Must, Have to.
We must eat our breakfast.
-Had to
We had to eat our breakfast this morning.

Probability
-Must
He is absent today. He must be sick.
-Must have
He was absent yesterday. He must have been sick.



Note : 


1. Probability adalah strong possibility.


2. Larangan (Prohibition) dinyatakan dengan menggunakan MUST NOT. Contoh :
You must not go out tonight (kamu dilarang pergi).
You don't have to go out tonight (kamu tidak perlu pergi).


3. SHOULD HAVE dan COULD HAVE menyatakan penyesalan terhadap suatu aktivitas yang pada kenyataannya tidak dilakukan.


4. WOULD juga digunakan untuk menyatakan kebiasaan masa lalu (bermakna USED TO). contoh :
 My Grandfather would tell bedtime story when I was a child.
 My Grandfather used to tell bedtime story when I was a child.


0 comments:

Post a Comment